Chelsea Sale: George Osborne brought on club pursuit by Todd Boehly-Clearlake consortium | Football News Sky News

[ad_1]

Former Chancellor George Osborne was parachuted to help the Todd Boehly-Clearlake consortium take over Chelsea.

Sky News can only reveal that city consultant Robey Warshaw, whom Mr Osborne joined last year, has signed up as a consultant to the consortium led by Mr Boehly.

The former Tory minister, who left frontline politics in 2016 to amass a portfolio of private sector jobs, including writing the Evening Standard, is a lifelong Blues fan and season ticket holder, and is pictured holding the Champions League trophy after Chelsea beat Bayern . Penalty shootout in the Munich 2012 final.

Osborne is also a close friend of Times columnist Lord Finkelstein, who has agreed to join Chelsea’s board if Mr. Boehly’s bid is successful.

Robey Warshaw is currently working with Goldman Sachs as a bid adviser, including Mr. Boehly, Clearlake Capital, Hansjorg Wyss and others.

Picture:
Osborne tied to Todd Boehly-Clearlake consortium to buy Chelsea

The government sanction of Roman Abramovich and his disqualification from the Premier League as manager of the club he has owned since 2003 left the fate of Stamford Bridge in the hands of ministers.

In the coming weeks, a preferred bidder is expected to be identified by the investment bank Raine Group, the investing bank, when it is proposed to the government for a special license approving the sale.

The number of Chelsea suitors fell from four to three on Friday as a consortium including the Ricketts family, owners of the Chicago Cubs, Cleveland Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert and hedge fund billionaire Ken Griffin pulled out of the process.

The consortium made a brief statement stating that it did not submit a final proposal due to “specific issues”. [that] could not be resolved given the unusual dynamics in the sales process”.

A source familiar with the proposal, led by Ricketts, said Mr. Griffin has decided not to make a binding offer.

Please use Chrome browser for more accessible video player

Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel says he understands Conor Gallagher’s disappointment at missing the FA Cup semi-final against his club this weekend.

The group’s decision leaves Boehly’s offer in competition with Sir Martin Broughton, former chairman of British Airways and Liverpool, and this includes funding from Crystal Palace shareholders and private equity billionaires Josh Harris and David Blitzer; and a rival bid led by Steve Pagliuca, co-owner of the Boston Celtics, and NBA president Larry Tanenbaum, owner of elite sports teams including football, basketball, and ice hockey.

The True Blues Consortium, a group of Chelsea fans that count former Blues captain John Terry as one of its founders, supported Mr Pagliuca’s candidacy.

More than 10,000 Chelsea fans have expressed interest in acquiring a £150m stake as part of the deal that will replace Mr Abramovich as owner of the club.

Sky News reported earlier this week that Boehly’s bid will actually be dominated by San Francisco-based investment firm Clearlake Capital, which, if successful, will own at least 50% of Chelsea.

Please use Chrome browser for more accessible video player

Tuchel said he was disappointed to see the referee laughing and laughing with Real Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti after the game and he thought it was a bad moment.

Boehly and his co-investors Mark Walter and Mr. Wyss would have minority stakes, though they would share operational control of the club.

Jonathan Goldstein, a London-based property developer working closely with Boehly, was also involved in the tender.

The latest proposals, which will give Chelsea more than £2.5bn worth and break the record for a sports club takeover, were tabled on Thursday.

Sources close to the remaining bidders said Raine told them he could wait for Premier League clearance for all consortia before presenting a preferred bidder to the ministers.

While Robey Warshaw declined to comment on Saturday, the Boehly Consortium was contacted for comment.