infection increases risk of blood clots for six months, study finds

UPDATE ON THE SITUATION – New measures, new reports and highlights: Le Figaro Provides an update on the latest developments in the Covid-19 pandemic.

The peak of the outbreak’s rebound has passed, according to Olivier Véran, whose second booster dose is less than 10,000 injections of Novavax open to people aged 60 and over at this stage in France at this stage. Le Figaro On Thursday, April 7th, it provides an update on the latest information regarding the Covid-19 pandemic.

For the government, the peak of the backlash of the epidemic has passed

The government on Thursday is opening the second booster dose of the vaccine to those aged 60 and over, as it estimates the peak of the recovery in the Covid-19 wave is now over. “We’re past the pinnacle of reboundHealth Minister Olivier Véran made statements about the Kovid-19 outbreak on RTL radio.

An average of 140,000 to 150,000 new contaminations are recorded each day. “It’s down about 5% in five days. It must be confirmed in time, in any case, we are not witnessing the tidal wave of 500,000 cases that we witnessed a few weeks ago.Added Olivier Véran.

According to data from health officials, contaminations have indeed stopped rising. Thus, with 161,950 positive cases recorded by Public Health France in 24 hours on Wednesday, the average of the last seven days reached nearly 135,000 cases after exceeding 140,000 last Friday.

Véran is the second booster dose open to people aged 60 and over.

Health Minister Olivier Véran announced on Thursday that the second booster dose against Covid-19 will be available to people aged 60 and over whose last injection was more than six months old. “We will be able to open this 2nd booster dose for French people aged 60 and over if they are six months away from their last booster injection.“Before it becomes mandatory,” the minister said on RTL radio. In an announcement made by Prime Minister Jean Castex in mid-March amid the backlash of the pandemic, so far this dose has been reserved for people aged 80 and over.

We know that a booster injection over 60 years of age reduces the risk of hospitalization, resuscitation and death by 80%. Even though this risk is lower today than in previous variants, and even when there is no vaccine coverage, there is now a risk. We can get that down to four, so we’re bidding.‘, argued Olivier Véran, based on a recommendation from the High Authority for Health.

Olivier Véran said that this non-essential measure therefore concerns 500,000 French people aged 60 and over who are six months or more from their last injection:The circulation times of the virus are as low as a hospital effect. We know that our hospitals need a breather.“.

“SEE ALSO – Covid-19: Olivier Véran announces opening of second booster dose”For French people aged 60 and over »

The increase in tests continues, but at a slower pace

The number of Covid-19 screening tests increased for the fourth week in a row, but “at a slow pace“According to the figures released by the Ministry of Health on Thursday, it is estimated”We’re past the top of the reboundfrom the epidemic.

In a press release from the Directorate for Statistics (Drees), more than 4 million antigen and PCR tests were performed between 28 March and 3 April, against more than 3.8 in the previous week. Therefore, demand is still increasing, but at a much slower pace than in recent weeks.

Study finds Covid-19 increases risk of blood clots up to 6 months after infection

According to a study published Thursday in the British Medical Journal (BMJ), Covid-19 increases the risk of developing serious blood clots up to six months after infection. This Swedish study reveals an increased risk of deep vein thrombosis (a blood clot in the leg) for up to three months, pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lungs) and a bleeding event up to six months after infection with Covid-19. two months later.

This risk is higher in patients with comorbidities and severe Covid-19. It was more pronounced during the first wave of the pandemic than during the second and third waves, the study underlines. We already knew that Covid-19 increases the risk of serious blood clots (known as venous thrombosis), but we knew less about how long this risk increased and whether it changed during different waves of epidemics.

SEE ALSO – Covid-19: a German vaccinated 87 times for selling his certificates to antivax

Novavax: Less than 10,000 injections at this stage in France

Touted as an alternative for those fearful of messenger RNA vaccines, Novavax’s Covid-19 vaccine has served fewer than 10,000 injections so far.slightly below expectationsThe Ministry of Health said on Thursday. Health officials hoped this vaccine from the American lab, the fifth available in France, would convince people who were reluctant to get vaccinated with Pfizer and Moderna’s messenger RNA vaccines, which rely on previously unreleased technology.

Results slightly below expectations: 9700 injections recorded with this vaccine“, the ministry said during a press briefing on the vaccination campaign in France. The first injections took place at the beginning of March. About “overwhelmingly first doses: 6195“, according to the same source.

As hypotheses on a lack of appetite for this vaccine in France, the ministry stated that “came a little late” and he “can only be used for primary vaccination, not possible as a supplement“. “The results are a little below what we expected, but the story is not over. It’s possible that scientific advice could evolve and also lead to its use as an abseil, which might give it some support.“, we added from the same source.

Vaccines: Franceminimize losses » doses

France is strugglingminimize lossesThe Ministry of Health said on Thursday that the 218,000 doses of the vaccine it had had to be discarded as it had by then expired. The national strategic stockpile consists of 50 million doses of messenger RNA vaccines (Pfizer and Moderna).if vaccination is required very quickly and very strongly, our insurance in case of a resumption of the epidemicThe ministry said in a press release regarding the vaccination campaign:

When are the current dosesexceed national needs, turn to donations“International.”Despite all our efforts“, nowadays “218,000 doses of AstraZeneca lost from national stock, not delivered on time and expired“, added the Ministry of Health. This number “compared to 140 million doses injected nationally and an additional 80 million for donations“We underlined from the same source. “To date, no dose of Pfizer or Moderna has been lost in the national stock, which has always found a country of purchase or used in the national campaign.“, according to the ministry.

Bitter failure in mandatory vaccination for German Chancellor

Snub for Olaf Scholz: The German Chancellor, already criticized for his lack of charisma, failed to pass a mandatory vaccine project against Covid-19 on Thursday, but its content has been largely emptied.

A bill to that end, stemming from a promise made by Angela Merkel’s successor, received 296 votes in favour, but was rejected by 378 deputies of the Bundestag. Nine members of the lower house of the German parliament abstained. Health Minister Karl Lauterbach stated that the purpose of compulsory vaccination in the process “abandoned“, for the purpose of “to avoid unnecessary victims in the fall“.

Taiwan moves away from zero Covid strategy

Taiwan’s health minister said on Thursday that the island will stop trying to keep the coronavirus infection rate at zero and focus on the worst cases and eventually support a strategy to live with it. virus.

» SEE ALSO – Shanghai partially reverses its decision after separating Covid-19 positive children from their parents

During a parliamentary session on Thursday, Taiwan’s “transition phaseTo live with the virus, Health Minister Chen Shih-chung said, “Yes, we can say that.» «We will not stop our journey to openness, this is our direction, but we will continue efficient management. Main focus now on reducing damage‘ he declared.

Hong Kong advocates temporary suspension of flights in case of infected passengers

Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam on Thursday defended the move to temporarily ban airlines if coronavirus cases are imported into the area, despite warnings from the industry that the city is losing control. The city’s airport, formerly one of the world’s busiest, has been largely cut off from the world since the start of the pandemic, and Hong Kong follows a strict zero Covid health policy after China.

The measure, advocated by Carrie Lam on Thursday, consists of suspending for 7 days any route served by any airline carrying at least three infected passengers on a single flight. According to the CEO, flights bring infected passengers, thus importing cases to Hong Kong “probably due to the very relaxed approach taken in many places” Worldwide.

.