A JURY trial is scheduled for the lawsuit filed by Gabby Petito’s parents against Brian Laundrie’s parents.
The lawsuit was filed last month by Joe Petito and Nichole Schmidt, alleging Laundrie’s family knew that their son had killed the 22-year-old vlogger.
Steve Bertolino, who represents Brian Laundrie’s parents, issued a statement to the media calling Petito’s lawsuit “baseless and frivolous”.
“A motion has been submitted to the court to dismiss the baseless and frivolous lawsuit brought by Gabby Petito’s parents,” Bertolino said. Said.
“The laundromats exercised their constitutional right not to speak, and they relied on a lawyer to speak for them. Not only is this common practice in our civilized society, it also includes the exercise of fundamental rights under the constitutions of the United States and Florida. »
“The rights of laundries are non-transferable and they can never be held responsible for using their legal rights in an authorized manner.
“I and my colleagues at Trombley & Hanes, who represent Chris and Roberta Laundrie in this case, are confident that by dropping this case, the constitutional rights of all citizens of this country will be protected.”
If the jury trial does happen, it won’t start anytime soon.
A schedule has been set for the week of August 14, 2023, at the South County Courthouse in Venice, Florida, according to court documents.
Laundries is also accused of helping their son escape the United States after the murder.
The lawsuit states that “Brian Laundrie is believed to have informed his parents, Christopher Laundrie and Roberta Laundrie, that he killed Gabrielle Petito, and therefore alleged.”
“At the same time, Christopher Laundrie and Roberta Laundrie spoke to Bertolino and sent him a deposit on September 2, 2021.”
The document also alleges that Laundrie exchanged text messages between her phone and Petito’s after her death “in an attempt to hide the fact that she died”.
Pat Reilly, representing Petito and Schmidt, was asked if there was any evidence to support the claims. “They’ll have to wait and see,” he told WFLA.
“We wouldn’t have filed a complaint against them if we didn’t believe it was true,” Reilly said.
The complaint was made on March 10.
Judge Hunter W Carroll explained in Wednesday’s decree: “To be clear, in today’s decision the Court does not preempt the defendants’ view that this case should be dismissed”.
“The Court’s intention is to rectify the perceived procedural shortcoming before addressing the merits of the Defendants’ motion. »
The lawsuit also alleges that Laundrie texted Schmidt “with the intent to deceive him” on Petito’s phone on August 30. Metin claimed there was no service in Yosemite Park.
The Petito family alleges that the lawsuit continues, stating that there was no contact between Petitos and Laundries after Brian returned from the trip on September 1.
However, when the official search for Petito’s remains began, the case alleges that the Laundrie family refused to comply with law enforcement and the Petito family did not answer questions or provide information.
Schmidt also claims that Roberta Laundrie blocked her phone number as well as her Facebook profile on September 10. WFLA Journalist complaints.
The Petito family also alleges in the lawsuit that Laundrie’s family planned to help her escape the country.
“While Joseph Petito and Nichole Schmidt desperately sought information about their daughter, Christopher Laundrie and Roberta Laundrie kept Brian Laundrie’s fate a secret and are believed to have arranged for him to leave the country,” the lawsuit says.
“Christopher and Roberta Laundrie have engaged in extreme and scandalous behavior that, under the circumstances, crossed all possible boundaries of civility and was considered shocking, cruel and utterly intolerable in a civilized community. »
The Petito family is now seeking at least $100,000 in damages, saying they are suffering from pain and mental anguish.
More coming soon…
Check Sun Online regularly for the latest on this news.
The-sun.com is your go-to destination for the best celebrity news, sports news, real-life stories, jaw-dropping photos and must-see videos.
Like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/TheSunUS and follow us on our main Twitter account. @TheUSSun.
We pay for your stories!
Do you have a story for the USA Solar team?